rFactor swaps textures

So, you've created a nice building or some other object in Google SketchUp, 3DS Max etc, and it is working perfectly in BTB. For example:
(click the thumbnails to see the full-size images)

Looks very nice?
You will have textures in the XPack which contains your object. For SketchUp users, this will be texture0.XXX, texture1.XXX etc. The XXX is png, jpg, dds, depending on what image file was set as the material, and what format it was in. You may have another XPack that has the same, but a different extension. In my screenshot, the tram I downloaded was in jpgs, and the shops I made were in pngs.
If this is the case, BTB will export both. In my case, I had texture0.png, and texture0.jpg. rFactor will always load the jpg textures before pngs, so if the space on a model is taken up by the wrong texture, it will not load the right one. For example, in rFactor:

How to fix this?

Note: the following solution is only necessary when someone else made the XPack and you therefore don't have the source files. If you are making your own XPack, see the final section.

First, you need to go to one or more of the offending XPacks. I have one called george st.zip, which contains the shops. It needs to be in BTB/My Projects/XXXXX/XPacks, not BTB/XPacks. Create a folder with the same name as the .zip file. Extract the .zip to that folder. Inside that folder, you should straightaway see folders called 'Materials', 'Objects', 'Textures' etc. Then delete the .zip file. The beauty of BTB is that it looks for XPack FOLDERS first, then .zip archives.
I exported my objects from SketchUp into Google Earth 4 (.kmz) and renamed to .zip. Extracted. I got two folders called 'models' and 'images'. Inside the images folder will be texture0, texture1 etc. I am not sure about 3DS Max objects, but it should be very similar.

Make a copy of texture0, texture1 etc, and replace 'texture' with something else, e.g mcd0, mcd1.
Open BTB, with the same track in which you have the offending objects.Click the Edit Materials button.

Click OK when the dialog box pops up. This window will appear.

Click on the name of the XPack, so for me, george st. You can see that you have every texture in that XPack.

For each offending texture, click on it once, then click the textures tab.

Click Load, and a dialog box will pop up. Browse to BTB/My Projects/XXXXX/Xpacks/xpackname/, and find where you copied and renamed those textures. Load the one that is identical to the current one. For example, for texture0.png I would load the new mcd0.png. In the Venue Materials window, click OK. Repeat for all offending textures, every single one.

Then delete texture0.png, texture1.png etc out of the folder for your XPack.

Export your track.

Your almost done! The last thing that you need to do is delete the old textures out of the track folder in rFactor. To do this, go to rFactor/GameData/Locations/VenueName/TrackName/ and delete the old texture0.png, texture1.png, etc, ONLY IF THEY ARE NOT USED BY ANOTHER OBJECT!! Open each one first, just to be sure you are deleting the right ones.

You are finished! Enjoy your newly-fixed textures.

This is long winded, I know, and it is not a perfect solution. You will have to do this for every track that contains the offending object(s), unfortunately.


If you are making your own XPack and importing your own SketchUp object, it is better to open the .dae file (before importing the object) with a text editor and change texture0, texture1 etc to something more distinct, such as the name of the object, e.g. grandstand0, grandstand1 etc. Then you can find and rename those texture files (e.g. so texture0.png becomes granstand0.png).

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License